Thursday, August 5, 2010

Reaching Out...

Ok...So I need to vent a little. I am like the worst mom EVER!
Last Monday we started swimming lessons. All of us. Daija is in her second year and doing great! It's Kyla's first year. And Chase and I are in a Mommy & Me class.
I noticed yesterday that Kyla was just sitting on the steps and not doing anything. I tried to watch her and pay attention to what I was doing with Chase...unsuccessfully. I thought maybe it was just not her turn to do something. Today before class I went over to her teacher and asked how Kyla was doing in class. She told me the Kyla is not doing what the other kids are doing. So I told her to make her do it. Halfway through class today I look over to check on Kyla (again - I had noticed earlier her teacher making her jump in which is good) and saw her sitting on the steps and crying (not with her class who was walking along the wall). Hmmmm.... I told my teacher that I would be right back. I go over and get Kyla - who clings to every part of me almost exposing my boobs in the public pool (darn prego boobs won't stay in the halter...note to self: need a new swimsuit...) and I try to calm her down. She's TERRIFIED. So I try to get her to go to class with me and Chase. She won't even do what we are doing in the BABY class. So the teacher (who doesn't care if kids cry) take her and dunks her under to get her to blow bubbles; which is what the rest of us are doing... It doesn't go over well. And since Kyla is freaking out, Chase refuses to behave, and they are both screaming and scaring all the little babies.

Not. Cool...

Chase's teacher is nice enough to take him the remainder of class. He wasn't too happy about it but LOVED blowing actual bubbles with her and was content. Finally...

So I take Kyla to the part of the baby pool where she can touch the bottom. As soon as she realizes that she could touch she calms down. So now I'm stuck with a no win situation. Do I take Chase out of his class so I can pay attention to Kyla and try to encourage her to participate in her class? I can't take both Kyla and Chase to the baby class at the same time. It's not fair to the other kids, or the teacher to have to take Chase, or to Chase cause he's supposed to be with me. That's the whole point...MOMMY and ME. But I feel like I've completely skipped supporting Kyla and thrown her into that unknown realm of middle child syndrome without even realizing it. I have to get her out of there and back into the "mommy loves you as much as everyone else". It was hard for me to be nice today. It was quite embarrassing and distracting to everyone in the pool that could hear her sCrEmInG! So what do I do???? I need advice from better parents than me.... help me out people!

PS...just so it doesn't look I've forgotten Daija. She's doing great! :) YAY!!!! She even bobs under the water when the teacher asks her to...even though she doesn't like it.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I have no idea. I will ask my sister. I hope that everything will start going better. Love the family photos!

    ReplyDelete