Monday, September 12, 2011

Broken Plateau

This morning I broke through a plateau that has been mocking me for weeks.
I started running every morning at 6:00am. I've only missed a couple of days and it feels great! (Don't ask the scale - dirty little traitor...)
I haven't been able to go for longer than 20 minutes though. I run with Debra Miller. She's amazing and very patient with me because she could go so much harder and longer than I can but she waits until I'm pooped and then keeps going by herself for a little while longer. I push myself until I just can't do any more. Then I ask Deb what time it is and it's always been after we've been going for 20 minutes. Frustrating - especially on days that I think we've gone longer...
Today I woke up determined to push myself. I told myself that when I got to that point that I want to stop I have to keep going for a little while longer. So I did. We went up around the park today and it was just that. UP. But I prefer going uphill first because it makes the return trip so much more bearable. So on the hard hill push up I kicked it into high gear and booked it up to the trail where we cut across back to 2300 and down to home. It's not that long of a uphill fight but I really pushed hard.
When we were almost back home I asked what time it was. I made it 25 minutes!! :) YAY I know it's a very small victory but it's a victory all the same. I am pleased with my progress and hope it's a sign that I have at the very least hit a new plateau. I wouldn't mind sticking to around 25 minutes for a week or so and then climb up to 30 minutes. I can handle that!
So here's to breaking plateaus. What plateau have you busted through recently???

No comments:

Post a Comment