Tuesday, May 3, 2011

War and Peace

Upon hearing the news of Osama bin Laden's death I had a rush of emotions.

First I thought it was a hoax. They buried him at sea so quickly they had to be lying. No one saw him alive or dead except those that "killed" him. Had to be a lie. As I read details of the raid however I was swayed to believe.

Then it was a mix of not knowing how to feel. Should I be happy about his death? Worried about retaliations? Sad about more killing? Mad about him getting the "easy way out"? Then, a new wave of American pride rippled over my body and I felt this swelling of "God Bless America" we finally got him! The horrible leader is dead. The snake's head has been cut off and his most likely of heirs with him! And even though it took forever, we, the American people, never lost faith that justice would be served! All of those families that lost loved ones in the terrorist attack and all of those brave men and women, brothers, daddies and moms, sons and daughters who have served our country in fighting this war on terror - some giving their own lives and leaving family behind - to keep us here at home safe and sound and free, finally have some concrete foothold of justification for doing just so.

My entire adult life has been lived in war. I remember sitting in the school library the start of my senior year watching a giant projector as the live news broadcast the second plane crashing into the second tower. I stared in unbelief at what was happening. Distanced enough to be numb to the reality and gravity of what was happening, and what it meant to me.

Since then I have shed many tears for those most closely affected. Every time I hear a song about troops and soldiers on the radio my heart aches for those families impacted by all these long years we've been at war. I try to not forget that we still are at war. I try to remember to pray for those serving our country. I know the war on terror is not over. I'm not so naive that I think the troops are all coming home now. But it's about time we had some good news! So I will accept this as the triumphant moment that it is. Praise my Heavenly Father (and NOT Obama cause it's not his victory at all) for the blessing and pray for the safety of our country and countrymen because there are bound to be consequences. And in my son's scrapbook about -what happened the year he was born-, I will put the newspaper heading "Osama is dead" with the article, so my children do not forget.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to all of the feelings that you said you had. I was talking to my parents about it all yesterday. There seems to be a lot of celebrating going on...about the death. It makes me uncomfortable. I am happy that bin Laden is dead, because he was a bad man. But I just can't celebrate his death. It's definitely a sensitive subject that is bringing out all kinds of feelings in me (and other people)!

    ReplyDelete