Monday, June 6, 2011

Summer Fun Ideas



Ok, so this year summer seems to be more dull than last year. I know, I know...it's only the first day, but last year I had a very full agenda with options of activities every day. My dear friends put together a schedule of various ideas for each day of the summer and it was awesome. The whole no need to think on my part was quite nice. This year I'm not so lucky...don't know why I just assumed the same friends would throw it all together but I guess I was secretly hoping.


I didn't buy a movie pass to any theatre this year. So that's only going to happen a couple of times instead of once a week. I didn't buy the dinosaur passes like every one else. I didn't buy the family fun center passes like a lot of my friends either. I have a couple of free passes so we will go a couple of times. We didn't sign up for swimming lessons. After last year being such a disaster and I still haven't figured out how I'm going to manage with even one more kid now we are going to skip this summer. At least for now. Daija might get lessons during the summer, then maybe Kyla, but not at the same time for sure.


As you can see many things that we did do last summer aren't going to happen this year, at least not nearly as often. I just don't have the money to spend on it all.


So far we are doing a young book club. Basically readers on the level of about The Boxcar Children (Daija and several of her friends) will meet every two weeks. We will "discuss" what we have read for as long as the kids will sit and talk and then spend the rest of the time having adult conversation while the kids play. We will rotate houses so the person hosting that week will provide snacks. I think it's a great idea. One: it gets us to read this summer. Two: it provides an activity once every 2 weeks. Three: it also provides another day filled every two weeks by making us get a library card and going to the library. I will not be buying a bunch of books for this, which makes it even better! :)


So that's the genious idea - not mine by the way - but still a good one. I'm trying to brainstorm more ideas. Please tell me what you do for summer fun that is either free or inexpensive. (And yes-driving far distances counts in expenses...darn gas!)

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to be stalking the comments on this post. I have NO IDEA what to do with the kiddos for summer. I feel like this is the first year that I actually feel obligated to get Benji out doing things. We have a splash park that we can go to, but it is 20 minutes away and costs nearly $10/visit for parking and entrance. That's why I put a wading pool on our back deck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come play with us!:)I don't spend a lot of money on passes and things either. Last year I spent $20.00 on a pool and the kids love it! My kids could play in that every day if I let them. My friends and I also take turns having them and their kids over to play in the pool. It's fun for them and us adults as well. There's always the park. I try going to different ones in the area so the kids don't get bored and of course there's always the splash pad that we go to a lot.

    On another note, if you want to put your kids in swimming lessons you could try to get them in with Jayden and Cassidy. I don't think they were too full because I did it later in the summer. That way I could be there if you need any help.
    Seriously though, lets get together more than once this summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are going to story time at the library once a week. I spent $15.00 and the kids and I will go to one movie a week. There is free lunch at the park every weekday so we go there for lunch. Emily is entered into our local library's summer reading program for pre readers and she will be able to earn a free book. We bought a family pass to the local zoo which is good for a year. We can go to other zoos in Idaho or Utah for free or half off. That is all so far. I will let you know if we come up with anything else. I plan to host one tea party or super hero party a week for the kids to invite friends too. This will translate into hang out in the yard and small snacks before everyone goes home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Pam! I got one of those calenders last year too! It was at the end of the summer tho so I never made it to anything. It all sounded way fun that's sad nobody did it this year. :( I use to do a Fun Friday group but then everybody got to busy so I just bought all those passes you mentioned and I've been going solo. Your always welcome to come hang with me. :) And theres always the park. I could add ya to my Fun Friday emails and if ya wanna come great and if not no worries. I'll try and think up some fun/free stuff in the mean time. Heres the Fun Friday blog I use to do if it helps give ya any ideas. wwww.funfunfriday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete