Thursday, June 2, 2011

Memorial Day

Memorial Day weekend we went to the Miller Motorsports Park to see the Superbike Races. It's the only world superbike races held in the USA and it was really cool! How spoiled are we to live somewhere there are so many different things to do and see!? Before the races began we wondered around looking at vendor booths, scoping out the food, and checking out the garages full of the race bikes. Michael Jordan has a race team and they raced two bikes in this race. One was just a normal super bike (red one pictured later) then the National Guard bike (white one below). Kyla said a red bike would win the race and Chase picked the green Kawasaki bike.

After paying way too much for hot dogs we went back to our seats to watch the first race. It was a crazy weather day. Walking around we got too hot and stripped down to our t-shirts. Then during the first race we gradually added back on the layers, until during the second race we were all bundled up in coats and shivering under the blanket. I was even holding Collin and with his added heat source I was StIlL cold! (Don't worry - he was toasty warm and slept through most of everything.) And Kyla was right - the red bike from Spain won the 1st and 2nd Superbike races! How did she know???

At one point Daija lay down in her chair under the blanket and fell asleep. O to be a kid again...


Chase's green Kawasaki bike. He would cheer every time it went by. :)

The girls would cheer like crazy every time a red bike flew by. They didn't care which red one. lol


You can see the Air Jordan symbol on the butt of the red one. It was fun to watch. I think one of the Jordan bikes came in 4th...? If I remember right...

After freezing to death I took the kids to the car for a little thawing and nursing Collin. Of course as soon as we get to the car the sun came back out. Here we are running around before the last race. Kyla was trying not to let Daddy take her picture. I'm trying to be sneaky and dodge her so she can't hide behind me. I'm such a geek. :)


Now and then you just need a good tickle!


The last race. Here's a good view of all the bikes coming around the corner right in front of us. It was so amazing to see how far over they lean into the turns. Scraping their knee pads along the road. We saw several wrecks, luckily they just slide to safety! On the small straightaway in front of us (after this turn) they would get up to around 120 mph on just over 1/2 mile of track. CRAZY! On the long straightaway that's got to be about 1-1 1/2 miles they max their speed to about 180-190 mph!

Chad is getting really good taking good pictures. I think an upgrade in camera might be in the near future. As good as these pictures are we can't make them very big or they get grainy. Unacceptable. hehehe




Coming out of a bend they gun it to get to the next turn as fast as possible. Notice the red bike is doing a little wheely. ScArY, but several of the bikes would wheely when the driver punched it into high gear! :) Way too much fun! We are definitely going to be back to watch more. I think next year we will have to save up for it and even take the kids on the zip line. I don't know if I will be brave enough to go but we'll see! :) All in all it was a wonderful day. I'm glad I was able to go with my family and see the kids enjoy something new. They were extremely well behaved all day - even in the cold. I have the best kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment